School website design – top 5 emerging trends
It doesn’t take a digital expert to realise that the internet is constantly evolving. As new technologies emerge, different capabilities are made possible and that’s really exciting. Schools can’t afford to let their website stagnate. Parents, students and stakeholders demand that data is current, features are interactive and navigation is instant. In short, your school website design needs to move with the times.
What’s new in school websites, and where will the industry take it all in 2017? This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it will give you a feel for what your website should/should not be including.
What’s going to be big this year?
- Video marketing – download options for viewing films, showing students involved in active learning and exciting environments
- Responsive and user friendly – websites that allow for a uniform user experience, however content is viewed, ie: tablet, laptop, mobile
- Bold typography and colour – clear, fresh typefaces, variable sizing, in striking colour themes
- Simplicity rules – websites with simple navigation, easy-read copy and images that connect with the user
- Learning portals - for revision, homework and resources generally
What to avoid..
- Use of stock images – your website needs to be about you
- Out-of-date content has no place on a school website
- Rotating images, spinning features and/or over-large banners – they distract
- Not putting a search facility on your site
“We are digitally-led and inspired,” said INCO, a well known digital leader and school website specialist. “We build great school websites that reflect the latest trends, user demands and education requirements. Our experienced designers will work with you to create a site that best reflects your unique school brand, learning ethos and community.”